Members of the Look at Me! team have presented at the following conferences:
- Representing Self Representing Ageing. Paper presented at the International Culture, Health and Wellbeing Conference, 24th - 26th June 2013, Bristol.
- Frailty, Thy Name is Women! Resistance to misogynistic and discriminatory representations of women in older age. Paper presented at The Lady Doth Protest.. Mapping Feminist Movement, Moments, and Mobilisations. The 2013 Biennial FWSA Conference, 21st - 23rd June, University of Nottingham, Nottingham.
- The Representing Self - Representing Ageing project. Paper presented at Arts, Social Sciences & Humanities (CRASSH) Conference Day: Arts & Sciences Researcher's Forum, 16th - 17th May, University of Cambridge, Cambridge.
- "Ask the woman with grey hair": Using visual approaches to raise questions about gender and ageing. Invited paper presented at Interactive Feminist Conference, 24th May 2013, University of Sheffield, Sheffield.
- Looking at ageing: Life course lessons from a participatory project. Invited paper presented at Appearance, Ageing and the Life Course, 26th April, University of Manchester, Manchester.
- (2013) Inspiring children to think constructively about age. Paper presented at North of England Education Conference, 16th -18th January, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield.
- Age and Ageism in a youth focused society. Invited plenary lecture at College of Nurses NZ, Baby Boomers and Beyond Symposium, 12th October 2012, Christchurch, NZ.
- Dealing with complexity in research findings: how do older women negotiate & challenge images of ageing? Paper presented at the 7th International Conference on the Arts in Society, 23rd- 25th July 2012, Arts and Design Academy, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool.
- User involvement and community impact. Paper presented at British Society of Gerontology 41st Annual Conference, 5th -7th July 2012, Plymouth University, Plymouth.
- Look at Me! Older people's involvement in research exploring images of ageing. Paper presented at Older People's Involvement in Research: The New Dynamics of Ageing Programme, at the International Federation of Ageing 11th Global Conference on Ageing: Ageing Connects, 28th May - 1st June 2012, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Look at Me! : Arts in the New Dynamics of Ageing study. Invited paper presented at NCRM Autumn School 2011: Methods Crossing Borders - Journeys of methodological innovation and evolution, 9th - 11th November 2011, De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel, Southampton.
- Reinforcing or challenging clich\E9s? Four participatory arts projects - Representing Self, Representing Ageing. Paper presented at Autumn Arts & Health Showcase, 12th October 2011, Mitchell Arts Centre, Stoke-on-Trent.
- Dealing with complexity in research findings: How do older women negotiate and challenge images of ageing using visual research? Paper presented at 2nd International Visual Methods Conference, 13th -15th September 2011, Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Portraiture of the selves and the therapeutic gaze. Paper presented at Phototherapy Europe: learning and healing with phototherapy symposium, 2nd- 4th February 2011, Turku, Finland.
- Look at me! : Older women represent their own narratives of ageing, using phototherapeutic techniques. Paper presented at Retirement Deferred: Aging, Gender and Representation, 28th June, University of West England, Bristol.
- Re-imaging ageing by older women: Using phototherapeutic techniques within a multidisciplinary research project. Paper presented at International Visual Methods Conference, 13th - 15th September 2011, Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Look at me! : Fostering older women's engagement and participation through visual methods. Paper presented at British Sociological Association Annual Conference: 60 Years of Sociology, 6th- 8th April 2011, London School of Economics, London.
- Putting older women in the picture. Paper presented at NDA Group: New Cultures of Ageing: Narratives, Fictions, Methods & Researching the Future, 8th-9th April 2011, London.
- Putting older women in the picture: performing age through image-making. Invited paper presented at Symposium: Performance and Performativity, 23rd May 2011, Maastrict, the Netherlands.
- Challenging representations of women and ageing. Paper presented at Gerontological Society of America Annual Scientific Meeting, 18th - 22nd November 2011, Boston, MA.
- "That's the woman you see, and that's the woman you could see": Lessons from a project challenging conventional representations and the invisibility of older women in the UK. Paper presented at International Symposium on Cultural Gerontology: Inaugural Conference of the European Network in Aging Studies (ENAS), 6th - 9th October 2011, Maastricht, The Netherlands.
- Representing ageing : A participatory arts project involving older women.Paper presented at British Sociological Association Annual Conference: 60 Years of Sociology, 6th- 8th April 2011, London School of Economics, London.
- New perspectives on ageing: Putting older women in the picture. Poster presented at the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics European Congress: Healthy and Active Ageing for all Europeans ii, 14th - 17th April 2011, Bologna, Italy.
- Ageing and the arts and humanities: A new research programme. Paper presented at IAGG European International Congress: Healthy and Active Ageing for all Europeans II, 14th -17th April 2011, Bologna, Italy.
- Photos as witness: Reflecting on the ageing body through photo-and-art therapy. Paper presented at the 40th British Society of Gerontology Annual Conference, 5th - 7th July 2011, University of Plymouth.
- A SURE way to moving on: undergraduate learning through research-led teaching. Paper presented at University of Sheffield Fifth Annual Learning and Teaching Conference, 10th January 2011, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield.
- Look at Me! A participatory arts project working with older women in the UK to create new & alternative images of ageing. Paper presented at The 5th International Conference, The Arts in Society, 22nd -25th July 2010, Sydney College of Arts, Australia.
- Articulating ageing: A visual appraisal of women's experience. Paper presented at the International Visual Sociology Association, 20th July 2010, Bologna, Italy.
- Look at me! Visual methodologies: Exploring images of woman and ageing. Paper presented at Vital Signs 2. Engaging Research Imaginations, 7-9th September 2010, University of Manchester.
- Look at me! Representing self - Representing ageing: Using phototherapy techniques within a multi-disciplinary research project. Paper presented at Phototherapy Europe: European phototherapy symposium: researching phototherapy and therapeutic photography, 19th- 21st October 2010, Whitelands College, London.
- Look at me! : Working with older women to represent images of ageing. Paper presented at the 39th British Social Gerontology Annual Conference: Identities, Care and Everyday Life, 6th- 8th July 2010, University of Brunel, London.
- Look at me! : A participatory arts project working with older women in the UK to create alternative images of ageing. Paper presented at XVII ISA World Congress of Sociology: Sociology on the Move, 11th- 17th July 2010, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Look at me! : Images of the ageing female body. Paper presented at Image(ining) the Female Body International Conference, 29th October 2010, University of Surrey, Guildford.
- Look at Me! : Working with older women to represent images of ageing. Paper presented at 39th British Society of Gerontology Annual Conference, 6th - 8th July 2010, Brunel University, London.
Other presentations: seminars, workshops and teaching activities
- Challenging ageism: the example of a participatory arts project to create new images of women and ageing. Invited seminar presentation at Auckland District Health Board Nurses Education Programme, 17th April 2013, Auckland.
- Images of ageing. Invited presentation at IMAGINE interdisciplinary Research Caf\E9, 28th June 2013, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield.
- Looking at ageing: Lessons from a participatory visual project. Guest Lecture for MA Module: Research with Visual Methods (SCS663), 8th May 2013, University of Sheffield.
- Look at Me! : Images of women and ageing. Presentation at a Centre for Visual Studies Seminar, 22nd April 2013, University of Sheffield, Sheffield.
- "Plastic Glamour", the "almost dead" and "missing parts of the story": Understanding older women's experiences of ageing through visual approaches. Invited presentation at Institute for Work, Health and Organisations Seminar Event, 21st March 2013, The University of Nottingham.
- Visual Methods. Guest Lecture Department of Sociology, 16th May 2012, University of Durham.
- Representations of women and ageing: Lessons from research. Invited presentation at Gender Research Network, Postgraduate Group Seminar, 30th November 2012, University of Sheffield, Sheffield.
- Dealing with complexity in research processes findings: How do older women negotiate & challenge images of ageing? Presentation at Sociology, Politics & Policy Research Group, 21st November 2011, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield.
- "I don't see many images of myself coming back at myself": Images of women and everyday ageing. Presentation at Researching Everyday Life, Joint Anthropology of Britain and ICOSS Workshop, 13th January 2011, University of Sheffield, Sheffield.
- Look at Me! : Working with older women to represent images of ageing. Invited presentation at College of Health and Social Care Leading Edge Seminar, 27th April 2011, University of Salford.
- Involving older people in research. Invited presentation at EPSRC Knowledge Transfer Consortium, KT EQUAL Workshop: Empowering Older People to be Active Researchers, Thought-Leaders and Influencers, 20th January 2011, Reading Town Hall, Reading.
- Look at Me! : Images of women and ageing. Invited presentation at Celebrating International Women's Day, 11th March 2011, Tapestry Room, Firth Court, University of Sheffield.
- Arts and Older People. Invited presentation at Sheffield's Older People's Partnership Network, 14th July 2010, The Circle, Sheffield.
- Older people's involvement in research: Whys, hows and so-whats. Invited presentation at New Dynamics of Ageing Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Workshop, 25th November 2010, University of Sheffield, Sheffield.
- Representing Self - Representing Ageing: Look at Me! Presentation at the Department of Sociological Studies Seminar Series, 10th November 2009, University of Sheffield, Sheffield.